The Hindu Wisdom Lecture Series – “Universal message of the Bhagavad Gita and the Ramayana – it’s relevance in the modern world”
Date(s) - 02/02/2019
7:30 am - 10:30 am
Hotel Holiday Inn Sukhumvit
Speaker: Amb. Shri. Basant K. Gupta IFS. ( Retd)
Former Ambassador of India to Italy
Joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1979; served in different countries and in the Ministry of External Affairs in New Delhi. Served as Ambassador to Rome and San Marino (2013- 2016) and as Permanent Representative to Rome based UN agencies i.e. FAO, IFAD & WFP.
Also served as Ambassador to Tunisia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu and Consul General to Hong Kong and Macau.
While in MEA served as Special Secretary and Additional Secretary in charge of Consular, Passports and Visa Divisions; supervised the rolling out of Passport Seva Project.
Presently serving as President of India –Europe Foundation for New Dialogues (FIND).
Study and research of sanskrit scriptures:
While pursuing a successful diplomatic career, have simultaneously maintained an abiding interest in the study of ancient scriptures. Delivered lectures on spirituality in various European and Indian Universities as well as UN agencies. These include universities of Rome, Venice, and Naples etc. Have attended a number of seminars and conferences on diverse issues including diplomacy, foreign policy, leadership, agriculture and rural development etc. in India and abroad.
1. Book on the Vedas, Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita titled “Timeless Wisdom from Ancient India” (2006)
2. Book on the teachings of Ramayana titled “Eternal Beauty and Infinite Joy” (2013)
3. Published Italian translation of “Timeless Wisdom from Ancient India” titled “Sagezza Senza Tempo Dall’Antica India” (2015)
4. Published Italian translation of the book on Ramayana titled “Eterna Bellezza” (2016)
5. Published book titled, “The Gita – An Eternal Wonder (2017)
6. Published Italian translation of the book on the Gita titled “Luci Dalla Bhagavad-Gita”.
7. Published a number of articles on Vedanta & Dharma, Yoga and Holistic health, Morality and Global leadership, etc.